Bike Week Winnipeg is looking for an independent, enthusiastic individual to act as an intern/assistant to the Event Coordinator for Bike Week 2015.
Position Description: Working with the Bike Week Event Coordinator, the Event Intern will assist with a variety of duties in the planning, organizing, and coordination of the events and activities of Bike Week 2015. It is our hope that this Intern position will transition into the Event Coordinator role in 2016. The current event coordinator will be leaving this position after this year’s event and there will be an opportunity for the intern to move to this position.
Bike Week is an annual event that celebrates people riding bicycles. Starting as Bike to Work Day in 2008, the event has grown to become a week-long celebration of bicycles that engages everyone that rides a bike, regardless of reason they ride.
Through a wide variety of bicycle related events our goal is to encourage people to get on their bikes and help to improve the culture of riding bikes in our city. In 2015 Bike Week will run from June 13 to 19. Events and activities include but are not limited to the Bike Week Kickoff Breakfast and Celebration Barbeque, workshops, themed group rides, and a variety of other bike related activities. For more information please visit www.bikeweekwinnipeg.com.
Duties and Responsibilities: In cooperation with the Event Coordinator and Project Manager, the Event Intern will assist with all aspects of the following tasks:
- Attend Bike Week planning meetings as availability permits
- Overseeing the overall marketing campaign and working with the marketing sub-committee
- Disseminating materials and information to sponsors
- Collecting and disseminating all promotional information required for participating events
- Booking venues and securing permits as required for events such as the kickoff breakfast and celebration BBQ
- Coordinating and hosting the Bike Week media launch party in early June
- Coordinating events including the kickoff breakfast and celebration BBQ (including liaising with sponsors and venue, ordering food services, distributing signage, managing volunteers, booking security, ordering event materials, setting up stations and running event)
- Coordinating other activities including themed group rides and workshops.
- Liaising with the Pit Stop and Volunteer coordinator to ensure all pit stop sponsors have information and materials required
- Preparing for and coordinating the pit stop information meeting
- Representing Bike Week at events
- Managing distribution of t-shirts and other Bike Week prizes
- Coordinating interviews with media, contacting appropriate Bike Week committee members for media opportunities and potentially speaking to media throughout Bike Week
- Coordinating documentation of Bike Week activities (including booking photo/videographers and managing data)
- Creating and distributing final project report
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications: Self-motivated, reliable and able to work collaboratively without close supervision. Key qualifications include:
- Organized, responsible and self-disciplined
- Good interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledgeable about Winnipeg and Manitoba communities
- Previous event coordination experience an asset
- Some knowledge of bike culture in Winnipeg and asset
Term of Position: April 15 to July 31, 2015.
An opportunity exists for the successful candidate to fill the Event Coordinator position for 2016. There is no guarantee of further employment and the final decision on hiring of an event coordinator for 2016 will be determined by the Bike Week Steering Committee.
Remuneration: The Event Intern will receive a contract for $ 2000.00. It is estimated that the work of this position will be approximately 100 to 120 hours. The position is part-time and hours from week to week will be variable, however during Bike Week the successful candidate will need to be available full-time.
Deadline for application: 4:00 p.m on Friday, March 20, 2015.
Apply: Applications will be accepted by e-mail only. If you are interested please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org